Buscar este blog

domingo, 1 de mayo de 2011

Yogurt Renaissance


As a greek yogurt enthusiast, living in Pontevedra has been a little challenging in the yogurt department. The yogurt they call "greek yogurt" here is not at all the same taste, ingredients or texture as the kind I'm used to. I looked in a bunch of health food stores around town for good quality yogurt, but couldn't find much. So, I tried for a while to substitute my craving with some regular store brand yogurt. Needless to say, I just stopped eating yogurt after a while.

Then, the other day, I went to the supermarket by my house and saw that they had a new kind of yogurt there (Clearly, I have a lot of free time on my hands...). This was the Vrai brand french organic yogurt. I bought it on a whim and it turned out to be delicious! Very thick and creamy without sugar or weird added ingredients. So, I was quite pleased to find a new yogurt.

A few days later I went to Vigo with Victor and Emma and we stopped by El Corte Ingles (a department store with a supermarket in it). To my surprise they had the Fage brand Greek yogurt I'd been pining for the whole time, only a half hour from where I live! They also had many other organic kefirs and yogurts. So, i bought a goat kefir too! Emma and I we're very excited and spent probably 15 minutes in awe in the yogurt aisle (obviously Victor went home as soon as he saw how long we would be spending there glaring at different cups of yogurt).

Emma had also come back the night before from a school trip to Leon and had brought me back some good quality Coladilla brand yogurts. A sheep's milk yogurt and a cow's milk one. So, as you can see, we are currently experiencing a yogurt renaissance.

I, in the throws of my honeymoon romance with yogurt, have been enjoying it in every way. This morning I woke up and made a bowl of greek yogurt with a bit of honey and cinnamon with chopped dates and bananas. So simple yet so satisfying. My people of California, do not take your greek yogurt for granted!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario